Monday 1 August 2016

Vintage Reverbs And Recording Techniques

Got a 8 track reel to reel recorder recently, mainly because I'm interested in recording the band using older, analog techniques rather than software.

Apart from the warmth and depth I hear in older analog recordings, I really like the reverb effect used in older recordings especially psychedelic era recordings.

I'm really just on the hunt to learn a bit about these older techniques from some of you folks here on bandamp because I know you guys got the knowledge about this sort of stuff. Did studios have the technology of digital reverbs back in the 70's? Obviously not software ones but outboard units? Is this how they added reverb to recordings?

I know from some friends that in the 60's, popular bands recorded in very large rooms that had an excellent sound and with the best microphones available to get the exact reverberations and character of the room onto tape. Clearly some recordings in 60's and 70's (especially vocals) had extra reverb added to them? was this simply using tape techniques such as tape delay and cabinet speaker effects?

I read about cabinet speaker reverb effect earlier today and it really got me interested in these vintage techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment